Sunday, January 29, 2012

New tools



I have recently obtained a new tool with another on the way.  The one I have received is a 12 ton press.  Not the best in the world but better that what I had, nothing.  This will work for installing the cam and distributor gears to the crank.  It should help with many other tasks around the shop also.  




I have also order this air compressor below.  It is an Ingersoll Rand brand.  Air compressors seem to range a wide array of quality.  It is a hit or miss with most air compressors.  I have a Husky from Home Depot and the tank started leaking.  I am not a good enough welder to fix it and probably could get it welded but I am afraid that the motor or the pump could be next.  It is only a few years old.  From what read, the oil less motors do not last that long (approx. 400 to 500 hours of service).  The unit that I recently purchased is a cast iron pump that requires oil and a break in period.  My old compressor has a 32 gal tank where this one has only 20 gal tank.  The old has what appears 9.9 scfm and the new only has about 5.5.  However all the reviews (many more than any other brand) for the new compressor state it will not break down and runs all of their impact wrenches, ratchets and grinders.  I realize that it will not run them continuously but should run them for what I need.  

The model I bought is the Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate Air Compressor — 2 HP, 5.2 CFM, Model# P1.5IU-A9 .  I should receive it in about 3 weeks.


No comments: