Monday, December 21, 2015

Didn't get very far.

I started to assemble the bus engine as I posted earlier.  I stared cleaning the pistons and cylinder to be ready to get them installed.  I also started cleaning the heads to bolt everything together.  I cleaned the 3/4 side head and found a crack from the spark plug hole to the valve.  This is not good.  I then inspected the other head and found cracks also from the spark plug to the valve on both sides.  This make these heads trash.

I have another set of stock heads in my storage.  I inspected these and found they do not have cracks. However, they are stock.  The heads I was going to use have bigger valves and have had porting to breath better.  I will have the stock heads worked on by Audirac and have him install bigger valves and do some porting.  Unfortunately, I don't have money at this time to do these things.  Therefore, everything stops now on the bus engine.  Just when I was gaining some momentum.

However, I do have two interviews this week that look promising for once.  I have some interviews in the recent past but did not materialize into a job.  One of the interviews will be my second with the particular company.  I am sure it will narrow a field of a half a dozen or more candidates to a couple or three.  I am hoping to get into the group of 2 or 3.  The other also looks promising as I will be meeting with the owner face to face.  We have been talking for the past couple of weeks.  Either job will be a good one, I just hope that at least one makes an offer.  It would make a great Christmas present.

Well that's all for now.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone and your families.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Finally getting somewhere with the bus engine

My bus has been down for about 4 years now and I am itching to get it going again.  There is a lot of work to be done.  I need to put together the engine, restore the gas tank, replace all fuel lines and make sure the brakes are in working order.  Most of this stuff is going to cost dollars which I do not have right now due to my job situation.  

I have most of the engine parts already and have procrastinated at putting it together.   I finally got started at putting the engine together.  At least the short block is done.  I closed the case this past weekend.  I am getting the pistons and cylinders ready to install along with the heads.  After that I will need to start spending money on valve train parts so things will slow down until I get a job.  But I feel good that this has started.

The distributor is a 019 with a pertronix ignitor inside.  I don't want to mess with points and condenser.  I also have a beefed up generator stand.  I have broke one in the past.  This one is pretty bullet proof.  I also have 30mm oil pump due to the remote oil filter and cooler that needs to pumped. The berg cover has a pressure relief just in case of too much oil pressure.

This case has been strengthened by welding behind the #3 cylinder and shuffle pins.  I had this done a few years ago.  The case was a type 3 case converted to a type 2 case.  I had to add the bolt for mounting, dipstick and open the mount holes for the stock oil cooler.  I also tapped all the oil galley plugs.  Hopefully this case will be solid.

You may notice to the right below the distributor, there are two ports that are duct taped over.  These ports were also added when the case was strengthened.  This is a full flow modification that my machinist added which I have used in other cases.  I like the mod.

That is what I have so far.  I should get the piston, cylinders and heads on soon.  So I will post once that happens.